Newlife Church Data Protection Policy
Newlife Church Palmers Green is a Christian church seeking to bring the Kingdom of God to Palmers Green. This Privacy Notice explains what to expect when Newlife Church collects and uses your personal information. Please read this notice carefully and if you’d like to learn more about our data protection and privacy policies or get further clarification, get in touch and we will be happy to assist.
Data Protection Officer, Newlife Church, 211 Green Lane, Palmers Green, N13 4UH
or Email: email@example.com
Newlife Church is committed to respecting your privacy and ensuring the personal information you have entrusted to us is held securely. We will process personal information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and the Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information in the following ways:
Directly from you if you:
- Make a donation
- Visit our website and send an email with an enquiry
- Become a member of the church
From other sources:
- We may use the Royal Mail’s postcode finder or the electoral roll to check the accuracy of an address that you have given us.
The personal information we collect:
- Your name
- Contact details e.g. email and telephone number
- Financial information such as your bank details if you fill in a form about gift aid
- Whether you are a UK tax payer
Sensitive personal data
The Data Protection Act recognises some information as ‘sensitive personal data’. This includes, but is not limited to, information which reveals your religious beliefs, health issues, race or ethnic origin. Newlife Church is a Christ-centred organisation committed to preserving its Christian ethos. Where necessary, and where consented to, we may collect details about your church affiliations and personal faith, but we are unlikely to write this information down. Additionally, we may collect details about any health concerns or disability. This is to allow us to continue to help you in your faith. Newlife Church will always treat any sensitive personal data we process with great care and process the information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- To process any donations.
- To reclaim tax on Gift Aid donations, if applicable.
- To verify that you are over 18 and if not, obtain permission from your parent/guardian to process your information or accept any regular donations.
- To keep you informed about our work.
- To manage and coordinate our members.
- For compliance with employment law and other statutory requirements.
If you volunteer to help out with children’s work, youth work or programmes which help vulnerable adults, you will be required to carry out a DBS check. You will be asked if you consent to this or not. If you consent to this, you will be asked to fill in a form with personal information. We will use this information to carry out a DBS check. We will take up references and ask to see some ID documents. After the DBS check, most of your documents will be shredded. We will only keep the original form you filled in and your references, and our own notes about the matter. We will not keep a photocopy of your DBS certificate. These files are kept in a very secure place.
CREDIT AND DEBIT CARD PAYMENT INFORMATION
When you make a donation to us online, your details will be held securely by a third party.
We will only see details of the sum which you have donated.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
Newlife Church never sells information to other charities or organisations nor does it share information with organisations.
Newlife Church may be under duty to disclose your personal information where required in order to comply with any legal obligation.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATA
Newlife Church will only keep your personal information for as long as it is required or in accordance with statutory requirements. For example, HMRC requires that we keep a record of your name, address and Gift Aid declaration for six years from the date of your last donation. Where the information is no longer required, we will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to hear from us in the future, we will keep the minimum information necessary to ensure we fulfil our legal obligations.
YOUR INFORMATION RIGHTS AND CHOICES
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you the right:
- To choose whether or not to receive marketing communication from us by email, text or telephone.
- To request in writing and securely obtain copies of the personal information Newlife Church holds about you. Please see the IOC website for regulations and exemptions.
- To correct or update your personal information processed by Newlife Church or to stop using your personal information for marketing purposes or for any other purpose where there is no legal requirement for continued processing.
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) gives you the right:
- To know about the cookies Newlife Church uses, so that you can decide whether to give us permission to store a cookie on your device. For more information about your information rights visit http://www.ico.org.uk
Please contact the admin team (firstname.lastname@example.org) if at any time you wish to exercise these rights.
Reporting concerns or compliments
Please contact us if you wish to raise a concern about Newlife Church’s handling of your personal information, or compliment what you think we have done well. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we manage your data.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
Newlife Church will review our privacy notice regularly. The terms of this notice may be updated at any time for example, in the event of changes in law and how we operate. Please do check our website from time to time. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will provide a prominent notice on our website or send a notification. If you have read all the way to the end of this document, please email me, because I need encouragement. This notice was last updated in April 2018.